HSEE – IIT Madras : Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination of IIT Madras
HSEE IIT MADRAS OVERVIEW 2020 the Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination or HSEE is a national level entrance test conducted every year by Indian Institute of Technology Madras for admission to the master programme offered by the Department of Humanities and Social Science– one of the oldest departments of IIT Madras. The department offers the following integrated 5 year MA programs:HSEE IIT MADRAS OVERVIEW.
- Integrated MA Development Studies
- Integrated MA in English Studies
The programs are unique because of the range of topics covered under the program. Some examples of courses covered are economic development, the role of the state and markets, globalization, inequality, poverty, gender relations, environment conflict, new social movements, politics and institutions, urban studies, area studies and international relations.HSEE IIT MADRAS OVERVIEW 2020
HSEE – IIT Madras Placement
Graduates have career opportunities in government, academia, research organizations, industry, editing , journalism and language training. The median salary for graduates completing the program in the last year has been around 9 lac per annum.HSEE IIT MADRAS OVERVIEW 2020
Seats and Eligibility
The total seats for the programs are 52. The institute allocates the seats to MA – Development Studies or. MA- English studies based on their performance in the first three semesters of study HSEE IIT MADRAS OVERVIEW
Students who have passed 12th or equivalent exam with 60 percent are eligible to write the exam. SC, ST and PwD can write the exam if they have scored a minimum of 55 % in 12th or equivalent exam.HSEE IIT MADRAS OVERVIEW 2020
HSEE – IIT Madras : Admission
Admission to the program is only through a national entrance exam HSEE.
HSEE exam is a 3 hour exam conducted in two parts. Part I is of 2.5 hours or 150 minutes and Part II is for 0.5 hours or 30 minutes. A brief of both the parts is as under:HSEE IIT MADRAS OVERVIEW
- English (25% marks of Part I)
- Analytical and Quantitative Ability (25% marks of Part I)
- General Studies (in four sub-parts; 50% marks of Part I).
- Indian Economy
- Indian Society and Culture
- World Affairs
- Environment and Ecology
- Essay writing.
- A common list of all candidates who score 50 percent in HSEE will be prepared. Separate rank lists will be prepared corresponding to GEN-EWS, OBC-NCL, SC, ST and PwD categories.
- Candidates belonging to GEN-EWS and OBC-NCL category must score at least 45% in HSEE-2020 in order to be in the respective rank list. Candidates belonging to SC and ST categories must score at least 25% in HSEE-2020 in order to be in their respective rank lists.
- If sufficient GEN-EWS and OBC-NCL candidates are not available, the seats will be de-reserved and open for allotment to general candidates.HSEE IIT MADRAS OVERVIEW 2020
Fee for the MA program
This program can qualify as one of the cheapest programs offered by IITs- esp the top IITs in India. The total program cost is around 1.5 to 2 lac with accommodation and food.HSEE IIT MADRAS OVERVIEW 2020
Why MA program from IIT?
Well, this could be one of the easiest program to get into an IIT. You could be called an IIT graduate without having to prepare for the JEE exam. Moreover, the importance of liberal arts is only being realized now in India. Critical thinking, communication, creative problem solving, self-expression, innovative research, and lifelong learning—all skills a liberal arts degree emphasizes—are central to a great career and a well-lived life.HSEE IIT MADRAS OVERVIEW 2020
More broadly, a liberal arts education helps students become well-rounded, interesting people who are more capable of building lasting relationships with others and with the world around them.HSEE IIT MADRAS OVERVIEW 2020
It also increases students’ ability to understand people, things, and events in a broader context, enabling students to map relationships between fields of study, things, and ideas. The liberal arts prepare students to understand and appreciate human ingenuity, imagination, and achievement; it cultivates a mind that enjoys itself.HSEE IIT MADRAS OVERVIEW 2020